About Me

My photo
I have enjoyed some great trips recently in the states and abroad. I am on a personal journey as well. I have always been a “seeker” with lots of questions about life. So, not only will I share some highlights from my travels, but, given my journey, I plan to share occasional witticisms, pithy political observations, and philosophical musings.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fishing in Fairhope

I had a great time in Fairhope today.  Everybody I met was absolutely charming.  I started my day in Page and Pallette, an independent book store, where I bought Winston Groom's, author of "Forrest Gump", new book on the Civil War battle, "Shiloh, which many say is as somber and spiritual a battlefield as Gettysburg.  The shop is arranging to have Winston Groom sign it, and then they'll send it to me.  I also got a collection of the Fairhope Writers Group short stories, and the latest issue of Garden and Gun, love that magazine.  Then I went to the Fairhope Artist Gallery and made a great connection with Robert Tarabella, a photographer, who does, among other things, some wonderful soft focus images that looked as much like paintings as photographs.  We talked about the very real possibility that I'd come back for a one-one tutorial session to learn more about his techniques Spark Imaging.  Then I went to the Church Mouse.

Church Mouse is wonderful English antique shop in one of Fairhope's most iconic buildings, captured in many paintings and photos of the town. There are actually two businesses in the space, Mary Ann Johnson runs the antique shop, and her husband, Spencer, runs the Fairhope Fly Shop, they seem to be mutually supportive enterprises as I saw pictures of Spencer landing a trophy Rainbow trout in an English stream, where Mary Ann was no doubt collecting antiques.  I enjoyed talking with Spencer about fresh and salt water fishing in the area, local guides, and gear, of course, gear!  Well, the next thing you know, Spencer invited me outside to practice fly casting in Church Street, which is a fairly busy side street.  He immediately cautioned me about my back cast snaring rear view windows.  Spencer is a wonderful instructor, both demonstrating some amazingly accurate casts, and coaching my more feeble attempts. I did hook a new model BMW, but unfortunately it was a catch and release street!

So, there's a future trip to Fairhope for fishing and photography!  I love these adventures. I've been blessed meeting some wonderful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment